The Principle of the Two Seeds
Ø Relationship between serpent and humanity
· Structure of the Hebrew sentence
· Noun form used 5 times in O.T. – hostility resulting in murder
· New world order
Ø 3 stages of the conflict
· First stage conflict between serpent and woman
· Second stage both seeds exist within humanity
o Hebrew word for seed usually refers to lineage
o Spiritual descendants of Satan
o Spiritual descendants of God
o Conflict throughout redemptive history
· Third stage conflict between serpent and Messiah
o Jesus Christ the fulfillment of promise in Gen. 3:15
o Luke 4 – wilderness temptation of Jesus
o Revelation 12 – battle between Satan and Jesus
o Satan defeated through death and resurrection of Jesus
Ø Lens through which scripture is read
Ø External pressure on the church
· Peace with world
· Culturally relevant
1. What is your initial reaction to the idea that there are two seeds within humanity?
2. How does the two-seed principle relate to what we have learned about the Covenant of Redemption and the Covenant of Grace?
3. Discuss the two-seed principle in relationship to courting and marriage.
4. Discuss the two-seed principle in relationship to some of the agenda’s (cultural relevance) which find their way into the church.
Suggested reading: Berkof’s manual pages 135-150